About Me

My photo
LOVE YOUR LIFE, LIVE IT LARGE, CHASE AFTER YOUR DREAM(S) AND ABOVE ALL PUT GOD FIRST.... Holla joshuamwongera@yahoo.com; joshemguru@gmail.com

Thursday, November 24, 2011

A FUNNY NATION: 1

Americans are the most genuine people you can ever meet, I stand to be corrected, maybe I'm not widely traveled like you people. But, seriously, with the kind of questions and comments I've been receiving from a few friends I have made so far I still insist they are, again you have all the rights to think otherwise although I don't stand to be corrected this time round. "Why?" I will tell you why.
When you happen to depart from Heathrow International Airport in London headed to America  that's when you start meeting the "genuine" kind of Americans I am talking about.
If you are lucky to sit next to one as you fly the first question you will get if you are black is ,"Are you from Africa or Haiti?" It is this kind of genuine, harmless and somehow dumb questions and statements that makes Britons think that Americans are dummies. In-fact they think America hold the highest number of dummies in the world.
If you are lucky like me one of the flight attendants  will try to explain to you what a sandwich is and even try the sign language with you simply because you are from Africa. I know most of you will get mad for that. My advice to you, just keep calm, cool face, smile and constantly say,"Huh?". With those few tips you are entitled to a few minutes of comedy from an attendant or a seat mate who thinks nobody knows English in Africa and there's nothing like a sandwich in Africa. By the way, did you know that most of them don't know if Africa is a continent? Yep!!!. Most of them think it as more of a village, only a few try to imagine it as country Hahahaha.... I like this place already. lol
Any way, because of Obama mania and all that political fuss surrounding PEV not forgetting the Kenyan runners, some of them know there is a Kenya somewhere in Africa. The thing is that the American Media will always show you their best in every sector so you have no chance if you are not here.
My final destination was in Logan international Airport. I vividly remember this pretty guard lady who showed me where I was to present my documents. As we were chatting she asks me the same question, "where are you from, Africa?" I bet my accent sold me out. Of-course  I nod to signify positive and add up "Kenya!!" in pride remembering where the most powerful person of this nation holds his roots from. Suddenly a wry of smile crosses her face and she puts it as a statement very nicely, "Ohh! You're here to run in a marathon!!".......... Weird...... Angry... Of-course I am, what else can a Kenyan come to do in America<<< my deep thought


See you in A FUNNY NATION: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment